General Health Insurance


In line with the new legal regulations implemented in Turkey, all students must have a general health insurance. There are Social Security agreements between Turkey and some European countries. Please click the following link to see if your home country has a Social Security agrement with Turkey: Bilateral agreements

There are two possibilities

1) If there is an Social Security agreement between your home country and Turkey: Please go to your national Social Security Office and ask for the form certifying your coverage. It has to be issued in your country and sealed and stamped. This document will be valid for residence permit and will let you have medical treatment at Turkish state hospitals.

Please check the list of Social Security agreements below:

  • Germany: T/A 11
  • Austria: TR/A 3
  • The Netherlands: N/TUR 111
  • Belgium: B.T 8
  • Romania: R/TR 3
  • Macedonia: MC/TR 4
  • Luxembourg: L/TR 3
  • Czech Republic: CZ/TR 111
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina: BH/TR 4
  • Serbia: SRB/TR 111
  • Croatia: HR/TR 3

2) If your country does not have a Social Security agreement : In this case, you have to provide a private health insurance. Best option is to buy one in Turkey so that it meets the legal requirements asked for the residence permit . You cannot stay in Turkey without a residence permit !

According to the new implementation, the following sentence has to be written in your insurance policy to get a residence permit:“Insurance certificate is in line with the minimum criteria for residence permit applications which were defined in Turkish Regulation at 9/2014 circular dated on 6/6/2014.”


Okan University ESN (ESN Okan) will be assisting students to obtain the best bargain insurance in Turkey! Please check out the following page if you want to buy your insurance in Turkey.

For further information do not hesitate to write to the following addresses: OR